Take your mundane brunch French toast up a notch with this blueberry-infused homemade cornbread French toast.
● Fine yellow cornmeal, ¾ cup
● All-purpose flour, ¾ cup
● Large eggs, 2
● Whole buttermilk, 1 cup
● Melted unsalted butter, 5 tablespoons
● Baking powder, 1½ teaspoons
● Baking soda, ½ teaspoon
● Kosher salt, ½ teaspoon
● Cooking spray
● Large eggs, 4
● Whole milk, 1¼ cups
● Fresh blueberries, 2 cups
● Cold heavy whipping cream, 1 cup
● Water, 1/3 cup
● Vanilla extract, 3 teaspoons (divided)
● Unsalted butter
● Granulated sugar, 2 tablespoons
● Kosher salt, 1/8 teaspoon
● Ground cinnamon, 1 teaspoon
● Maple syrup
● Preheat your oven to 325oF. Take a large bowl and whisk together flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, sugar, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together eggs, melted butter, and buttermilk. Mix both the mixtures and stir until combined. Pour the batter into a loaf pan.
● Bake for about 35 minutes, or until the loaf is light brown around all edges. Remove and let it cool completely. Trim both ends and slice the bread into 8 pieces. Set aside.
● Add blueberries and water to a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Simmer for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. After the blueberries soften, gently mash them. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes, stirring often. After the blueberries start to break down, remove them from heat and let cool for about 10 minutes.
● Add whipping cream with 1 teaspoon of vanilla to a frozen metal bowl. Beat using a frozen whisk for about 2 minutes. Refrigerate it uncovered.
● In a large bowl, combine eggs with milk, cinnamon, salt, sugar, and remaining vanilla. Whisk until smooth. Whisk in ½ cup blueberry sauce.
● Dip the cornbread slices into the batter and cook for 2-4 minutes per side on a non-stick skillet until golden brown.
● Divide the French toast slices among plates, and top each with whipped cream and the remaining blueberry sauce. Serve with maple syrup and butter.